Google+

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

ba

In the summer of 2006, Tulane Summer Lyric Theater included the musical “Pippin.” The first song included people dressed in black wearing white gloves under a black light. They moved the gloves around as they sang. Thus was the inspiration for this piece.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

Dark backgrounds are hard to paint on - as I reminded myself in creating this painting. Hand shapes are difficult as well. Anyway, it took some patience on my part to make them the way I wanted them. I was over at the Westwego Art Center painting this one when lightning hit the building. The radio went off and lights were at half illumination. That’s the tale of the purple gloves.

7 comments:

  1. Cool painting & an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lana:

    Thanks. : )

    It's nice to have more to say about a piece - particularly when there was some drama in creating it.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story kind of reminds me of a concert I saw back in the early 90's, during which the drummer did his solo under a blacklight with glowing sticks. It was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sai:

    Thank you.

    At some recent gallery receptions, this one has received a lot of comments.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this very much! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jackal:

    Thank you very much.

    I like hearing the word "great." : )

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete