Google+

Saturday, June 21, 2008

aa

What better theme for me to begin with than “Carnival.” New Orleans is one of several cities, from around the globe, which has this particular celebration. From October 14, 2006 - January 6, 2007, the New Orleans Museum of Art featured an exhibit called, what else but, “¡Carnival!” The exhibit included carnival costumes, photos and explanations from various cultures both past and present.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

For my painting, I picked some colors from costumes in the show and decided to create a circle of cone hats with white masks. The masks proved a bit tricky on the edges of the composition. I chose not make the color alternation consistent. Then, I finished the piece with dots a bit darker than the background colors. This first piece got me excited about what I was doing.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation--now I get it! This one always kind of looked like a circle of extra-terrestrials looking down on me on their cold, metal table. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. lana:

    At Carnival you just might see folks dressed up as aliens too. : D

    Mo : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really beautiful, Mo!

    Happy Fourth of July to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. daisy:

    Thank you very much.

    Happy Fourth of July to you, too.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete