Google+

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

os

After playing cards, I met my sister, my two aunts and my uncle for dinner at Dick and Jenny’s. We went early since the place doesn’t take reservations. The restaurant is located at 4501 Tchoupitoulas (chop-i-two-lass) near Napoleon Avenue in Uptown New Orleans. Dick and Jenny Benz based their restaurant on ones they like from this area and abroad. The building is a mid-nineteenth century barge-board-cottage that was formerly a grocery store and later on a poboy shop. The walls inside are covered with dinner plates bearing the names of the founding customers of the restaurant.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

As you might have guessed from my painting, the walls are orange. As for the design, it is a decorated dinner plate made of dots. This is not based any specific plate, but a general symbol for all the plates.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not sure what a poboy is, but I like this painting. I like the story behind it (as usual). Do you ever look at some of your older work and no longer remember what event or time or place inspired the piece? I'm just curious. You've done so many paintings. I really like how they are a representation of parts of your life. I just wonder if you can still remember the inspiration for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy:

    Poboy is like a Subway sandwich, but with French Bread. Some local sandwich places put a lot of meat and/or a lot of spreads/sauces on poboys.

    Actually, I blogged about this piece a while back.

    I do have trouble with my lists of events, places and sights. Sometimes I totally forget the reason I put an item on my list. Eventually I figure out why. If I have no idea for a painting, I usually scratch out an item. With this process I've gotten a lot pickier. I don't want to stay stuck in a certain year for too long.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete