Google+

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

xe

On one of my visits to the Contemporary Arts Center in New Orleans I viewed an exhibit featuring the work of artist Mario Petrirena. The show consisted of collages and assemblages. I enjoyed the show enough to buy a catalog. In the back of my head I’ve known I wanted to do a piece having seen his work. The question became how to make my painting just
a painting.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

To begin I painted my canvas a muted red and pastel of the same color. Next, I mimicked circle cutouts by dabbing dotted lines. Then I mulled over what to add while flipping through the catalog. That’s when I saw an assemblage involving a hand. Placing my own hand over the canvas, I created an outline with dots. From there I filled in the positive and negative areas created. To finish I looked at an ornate design, before creating one of my own.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Mo! I always like when you explain the process of your work. My first thought when I saw this was that the design reminded me a little bit of a red and white bandanna or handkerchief like might be worn by a cowboy or ranch hand around his neck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy:

    Thank you.

    I see what you're saying concerning a bandana design.

    'Glad you enjoy reading about my process.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete