Google+

Saturday, March 06, 2010

pe

A few years ago an Australian Aboriginal artist, who goes by the screen name marvynmc, friended me on a social networking site. His interest in my work was particularly flattering to me since Aboriginal art has been an inspiration for my work. Aboriginal artwork is not limited to dots however. It also includes lines.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

Marvynmc’s works depict stories that are told by his people. He includes a brief description with each piece explaining his symbolism. When I first saw his work I noticed a pinwheel type pattern he used that was similar to one I used in some of my paintings. After browsing through his posted works, I decided to create a dot painting to honor him.

I zeroed in on his depiction of water holes, which he uses as a grid background in his avatar image. Water holes show up in several of his works. Since my current series includes a diamond shape instead of a pinwheel, I adapted my design accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mo! I really like this. It has pretty colors and there is a kind of energy about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy:

    Thank you.

    It's a quieter palette for me. Once in while I have to change things up. I like your thought on it having "a kind of energy about it."

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete