Google+

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

oj

In the spring of 2006 I went to a special screening of Steven Soderbergh’s “Bubble.” Soderbergh was on hand to take questions after the movie. The film concerns two workers at a doll factory. One is a young man and the other is an older woman. Their friendship is changed when a young woman is hired. There is a murder.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

Anyway, the older woman in this has a facial expression that is very similar to the ones on the dolls’ faces. During the film there are two scenes in which a blue spotlight shines on the older woman’s face. That is the focus of my painting. I wanted to capture the feeling of the epiphany scene, if you will. I wasn't worried about attaining a likeness of the actress. I just wanted to communicate those two moments.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting & haunting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lana:

    You’re right to say that too - in terms of the context of the film.

    However, this is has more to do with my reaction to the two visual moments in the film. It’s as if I’m ignoring the character’s experience and substituting my reaction.

    Thank you for the vote of confidence,

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete