Google+

Thursday, February 17, 2011

oc

Some of my paintings grow out of film experiences. This piece was inspired by the movie “The Chumscrubber.” The title comes from a video game in which the hero carries its head in its hand as a weapon in a post-apocalyptic world. But the video game is not the focus of the painting.

In the film there is a scene where Ralph Fiennes descends into a swimming pool fully clothed. The scene struck a chord with me. In general the characters of the film were coping with stress in their own strange ways. Glenn Close’s silent scream fascinated me too.


acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

And so I go back to the imagery of this piece. The base colors for the background come from ones used in the promotional imagery for the film: green and burnt orange. On top of those colors I painted dots to imply agitated swimming pool water.

No comments:

Post a Comment