Google+

Saturday, May 02, 2009

ax

While taking photos on Mardi Gras Day 2007, I happened to snap this shot of a boy on a truck float. He made a war cry face as he held his umbrella above his head. It’s one of my favorite Mardi Gras images. Since then I’ve been stewing about how best represent the picture. After some recent difficulties with my paintings, I finally simplified my design.




acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

Originally I was going to do something with the war-cry-face, but I ruled that out. Instead I concentrated on the jester hat sequins as dots. I figured I’d depict the Mardi Gras colors, purple, green and gold, and then play with the blues from the photo. For the sequins I used acrylic silver paint.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool. Have you ever considered doing that kind of hat in a dot painting, as you've done fleur de lis in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana:

    Thank you.

    No, I hadn't really considered doing any more fleur de lys. However, last Friday when I had gallery duty, someone bought an underpriced fleur de lis painting. It was by an artist who is new to the art guild. The buyer lives in Baton Rouge.

    The next paintings I make will be simple designs. I'm a little burnt out on what I have been painting lately.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colors the way you put them together, Mo. The photo and the little boy's face made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy:

    Thank you. : )

    I had no idea the boy was going to make that face. He signaled that he wanted to pose and made the face when I clicked.

    Mo : )

    ReplyDelete