Google+

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vance Kirkland

Sometimes I happen upon artists whose works relate to what I’m doing in my art. In the spring of 2004, I attended an art educator convention in Denver, Colorado. After an all day bus tour, I spent the following days exploring the city on my own. I attempted to go to The Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art, but it was not open. The museum was one the art museums listed in an art lover's guide to art museums.

So, then I continued down the street to a state museum. When I was browsing at the gift shop, I ran across several books written about Vance Kirkland’s work. His earlier work resembles the various styles that were popular at the beginning of the last century. Later on his interest turned to images from space and he began to use dots as stars. There’s also an Op (optical illusion) Art feel to these later paintings. Well, I just had to buy the books on his work. They made my luggage come very close to the weight limit on my flight back.

No comments:

Post a Comment