Google+

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

oz

Riccobono's Peppermill Restaurant is a local restaurant that I frequented before Hurricane Katrina. Upon my return to the New Orleans area, I drove around with my list places. I marked off what was open. When I rode by the Peppermill, I noticed kitchen equipment outside in front. After some time the restaurant re-opened. The inside had been redone. Besides some dark greens and reds and browns, there were some murals on the walls across from the front entrance. They depicted columns and archways with Italian cypress along a hillside.




acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5"

The murals and décor inspired this painting. The background is made up of colors from the curtains, chairs and walls. I then painted Italian cypress with a light blue background I saw in the mural. Originally I had an archway framing everything. However, it became problematic. So, I eliminated it. This is the last piece in this batch.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting story to go with this, Mo. It's neat how your paintings become a journal of sorts in art form. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy:

    I didn't set out to make a visual journal. It just sort of happened when I was dealing with the stress right after Hurricane Katrina and the flood. That was followed by the stress of determining what was gone and what remained in my part of the city.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete