Google+

Sunday, November 18, 2007

"o" Series Memphis Slide Show

On August 27th, 2005 I evacuated to Memphis. I didn’t take any art supplies with me. On two previous evacuations - for Ivan in ’04 and Danny in ’05 - I was gone only a few days. At least for my Memphis evacuation I packed a weeks-worth-of-clothes. Anyway, after the storm, not knowing when I’d return, I went on an art-supply-buying-spree. By this time I was living at an Extended Stay America.

Initially I worked on eight canvases with only images in my head of my previous dot paintings. I finished them and then ordered more canvases. It wasn’t until I worked on the eighth one that I had a sense of where I was going with these pieces. Just before I left Memphis my canvas order arrived at the art store. On October 7th I returned home. Between September 2, 2005 and August 9, 2006, I completed this group of dot art paintings based on experiences and places in Memphis. I used Post-it Notes to decide on my images. Here is the “o” series Memphis in a slide show.

No comments:

Post a Comment